Monday, August 4, 2008

Doing our part

Once again, Kara's Frugal Deeds have inspired me to rethink the way we do things around here. Being on the budget plan has made me pretty unaware of what we're doing. It's easy to get lazy when it doesn't affect your bill each month. I decided to focus on the electric bill because that's the one we can change the most at this point. Tim and I started talking about all the electronics that usually stay on that don't need to be. Now that I have the laptop and am not working on a daily basis, there is no need for me to have the desktop, 2 printers, copy machine, etc. on. Not only did I shut that stuff down, I turned off the whole power strip. During the day I will also be unplugging the coffee pot (it has a clock), monitors when Troy isn't napping, radio in the kitchen (has a clock), dvd player, and any lights/fans when we're not in the room. I have a bad habit of leaving stuff on when I'm not in that room.

I'd like to say that we're going to turn off the A/C, but that's some thing I can't quite give up yet. It's been super hot and humid hear. I have it set at 76 right now. I think I'll program it today so it's 78 during the day and allow myself to drop it to 75 at night. Our house is pretty opposite most people. Since we're home all day it runs a lot more than most people. Our back yard has NO shade and just bakes in the sun all afternoon, so by late afternoon the 2nd floor is an oven. Troy and I are both super hot sleepers. Even with the air set at 75, I sleep in my underwear, under just the sheet, and still need the ceiling fan. What I discovered last night, though, is that when Addison wakes up for her first feeding it's usually cooled off enough that I can shut it off. This will save the electricity from about 1 a.m. until the next night. That has to help a little, right?

I would love to say that my efforts are to help do my part and be a little more 'green', but the reality is that my main driving force is to pay the very minimum we have to in order to get by each day. A penny saved is a penny earned, right!?!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails